Summer Weekly Recycling
Weekly recycling returns from Monday 16 December 2019 until Friday 31 January 2020. Your recycling bin (blue lid) will be collected every week during this period.
Bins will be emptied on all public holidays.
The Shire is still Recycling! All household recycling is now being taken to Polytrade in Dandenong, where it is sorted and baled for reprocessing.
Please only place accepted material into household recycling bins.
Recycling services are offered in two ways on the Mornington Peninsula:
- Fortnightly 240L kerbside bin collection. Learn about what you can and can’t put in your recycling bin below or find your recycling bin collection day.
- Bins are emptied on all public holidays
- Through our Mornington, Rye and Tyabb Resource Recovery Centres.
This waste disposal guide lets you know what can be recycled FREE of charge at our Resource Recovery Centres.
Residents can now freely pick up Bin Latches to secure bin lids from any of the Shire offices (Hastings, Mornington or Rosebud). Bin latches are easy to use and install. Bin latches stop rubbish from escaping when accidentally tipped over and prevents animals from accessing rubbish. Bin latches auto releases when emptied into the rubbish trucks.
For More, such as the below Information Click Here
What Can or Can’t I Recycle
What CAN I put in my recycling bin?
- Paper / Cardboard
- Newspapers & phone books
- Magazines & junk mail
- Envelopes (including plastic windows)
- Flattened cardboard
- Breakfast cereal boxes
- Milk and juice cartons
- Egg cartons
- Toilet rolls
- Paper books
- Rigid / Hard Plastics (Plastics that cannot easily be scrunched into a ball or returns to its shape when scrunched)
Drink and milk bottles
- Plastic lids
- Pot plants
- Plastic children’s toys
- Take away/food containers (rinsed)
- Medicine bottles (personal labels removed)
- Plastic cutlery
- Soft drink cans
- Food and pet cans
- Foil (clean and scrunched up into a small ball)
- Aluminium food trays
- Pots and pans
- Aerosol spray cans (empty)
- Glass bottles and jars
What CAN’T go in my recycling bin
- Household waste
- Soft Plastics (Any plastics that can be scrunched into a ball – these cannot be recycled through the Shire’s kerbside bin collection. However, specialised companies can recycle these, so look for a collection point at your local supermarket).
- Plastic bags
- Plastic packaging
- Cling wrap
- Green shopping bags
- Household rubbish
- Take away coffee cups
- Paper towels
- Textiles, clothing or shoes
- Hazardous Waste
- Oil and other fuel containers
- Garden/green waste
- Black watering (irrigation/solar) pipes/hoses
- Electrical conduit
What happens to my recycling
Where can I take my recycling?
China’s tightening restrictions on recycling FAQ
Find Your Bin Calendar
Recycling is collected every fortnight.
Search for your bin calendar by address or area at Find Your Bin Day.
Report A Missed Recycling Bin Collection
If your recycling bin was placed on the kerbside before 6am on the day of collection, it should be collected by the end of the day.
If your recycling bin was not collected, please contact Shire’s Customer Service Team.
Report a Damaged Recycling Bin
If your recycling bin becomes damaged, please contact the Shire’s Customer Service Team to have it repaired or replaced.
Report a Lost or Stolen Recycling Bin
If you think your bin may have been stolen or is lost, there are a couple of steps you can take:
- Check your letterbox for a slip from your bin collection contractor
- If you don’t have a slip in your letterbox, submit a Lost Bin Declaration form
Please contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 850 600 for further information.
If you are interested in the area or would like to know more about living on the Mornington Peninsula. Please feel free to contact our office Click Here for Details.
If you are interested in the Real Estate Market and want to find out the prices of recently sold properties, you can download our FREE report HERE.
You can also review our current listings